Friday, January 15, 2021

Preparation for First Rangers of Shadowdeep Game

 To get ready for a game of Rangers of Shadowdeep I had a bit of preparation work to do, to get the figures and terrain ready. Well, I've had about a year getting ready, but seem to have had a spurt of activity over the past couple of months.

First up are the boards to play the game on. As I'm going to be playing the game in 15mm, I've decided to change the inch measurements to centimetres.

During one of the brief interludes between lockdowns I managed to go to the local scrapstore in Hull. They sell a variety of both new art equipment and end of line bits & pieces and general useful looking bits. I ended up buying 8 hardfoam boards, roughly 59cm x 49cm and 0.5cm thick. At £1 each they seem good value.


Here's what the bare boards looked like.

I then covered the board with a Javis landscape mat. Although I have now learnt to glue it on in small strips, as otherwise it does tend to bend. I ended up having to break the glue under half the mat, so it would lay flat. I intend to make more of these boards, at least two of each, so that I can have a variety of terrain and larger boards if required.

I have started on one using Fablon, the sticky back plastic, but that hasn't gone well so far 😭.


Next up came the buildings, these are all from Timeline's Dark Ages set.


With the larger huts, the one on the right is from Timeline and the other I built with my daughter when she was studying the Vikings. It's made from balsa wood and fake fur.


Next up came the objective markers and general small terrain. All of which are from Alternative Armies. The statues are from there 15mm range, but just looked a bit too large.




Next up came the monsters I would need. I already had some zombies, they are modern day ones, but that shouldn't matter, I'll just not use the obvious modern ones. The giant rats are from the Reaper Bones collection. The Giant Spiders and Flies are from a job of plastic bugs on Amazon.

Finally come the characters for the ranger and his companions. They are from various manufacturers, Demonworld from Ral Partha UK, Copplestone from North Star Miniatures and Alternative Armies.

Hopefully all that is left now is to play the game this weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment

1st Grav Bike Race

 This is my first trial race of the Grav Bike Rules. It features Vrkta'klak Kravnkvy on the black and grey bike, Garry Gleam on the whit...